Posted By dstgeorge on December 21, 2021
There has been an increase in coyote activity and sightings in the community lately. The City of Huntington Beach has a webpage with helpful information on coyotes and other wildlife. The California Department of Fish and Wildlife also has a website with good information and a video on the coyote issue in the state covering the rules and guidelines of dealing with coyotes and other wild animals.
Some preventive measures you can take at home:
- Keep pet food indoors and do not leave food of any kind outside at night. Food left out at night will be taken as a welcome invitation by wildlife, and may prompt a future visit.
- Keep cats and small dogs indoors or in the close presence of an adult.
- Remove any fruit which has fallen to the ground.
- Store trash in covered, heavy-duty containers.
- Keep yards free from potential shelter such as thick brush and weeds, and enclose the bottoms of porches and decks.
- Eliminate garbage, debris, lumber piles, etc.
- Check fencing and try to eliminate access points to roof tops.